The Impact of Wind Turbulence on Big-Rig Truck Stability
Bad weather, particularly high-speed winds, could have a major impact on big-rig truck stability and can be a factor in deadly truck accidents. Truck trailers have a massive surface area and a high center of gravity, making them prone to swaying and losing balance. When this happens, the driver could have trouble steering and ultimately lose control of the truck, creating a dangerous situation. If you suffered injuries in a truck accident, an experienced Long Beach personal injury attorney could help you pursue the compensation you deserve.
Understanding the Impact of Strong Winds on Large Trucks
Depending on the direction of the wind and the cargo weight, winds in the range of 40 to 60 mph could overturn the vehicle. Trucks carrying a lighter load are particularly at risk.
What makes large trucks so dangerous in high-speed winds are the large, flat sides of the trailer, which can act as a sail, catching the wind. Combined with its high center of gravity, the potential for an accident is high.
Common Accidents and Contributing Factors
Wind turbulence could result in a variety of tractor-trailer accidents, including:
- Jackknife accidents: These types of accidents can happen when a trucker loses control of their vehicle during high winds. If they hit the brakes too fast or use too much pressure, the tractor-trailer could create a 90-degree angle, resulting in a jackknife.
- Lost load accidents: If cargo is not secured correctly, it could fly off amidst severe winds onto the path of other vehicles.
- Rollover accidents: High winds could also cause a truck to slide and roll over if the trucker loses control.
- Under-ride accidents: When a truck driver stops too abruptly to regain control of their vehicle after being thrown off by high winds, the vehicle behind could get lodged beneath the trailer if they were tailgating.
Determining Liability in a Big-Rig Truck Accident
Although no one can control the weather, truck drivers still have a duty of care to drive safely and employ safe practices while operating under bad weather conditions. In a truck accident caused by high winds, the truck driver could be liable for any resulting injuries. The trucking company could also be liable if it is determined that they failed to ensure their drivers were prepared to drive safely during hazardous weather conditions.
A Long Beach truck accident lawyer who is experienced in handling these cases could help maximize compensation on your behalf and fight to hold all responsible parties accountable for their actions.
Pursuing Compensation and Justice for Victims
No two truck accident cases are exactly alike, and neither is the amount of compensation paid to the injured or a family who lost a loved one. In most cases, there are certain types of recoverable damages available, such as:
- Medical expenses, including hospital bills, physical therapy, medications, and emergency medical assistance
- Property damage, such as a totaled vehicle
- Missed wages and loss of earning capacity
- Emotional suffering, physical pain, and anxiety or depression caused by the accident
If a loved one was killed in a Long Beach truck accident, certain family members may be eligible to pursue a wrongful death claim.
Were You Injured in a Big-Rig Truck Accident?
If you were seriously injured in a big-rig truck accident, don’t hesitate to consult a knowledgeable personal injury lawyer. The Law Firm of Joseph H. Low IV in Long Beach, CA, has the knowledge and resources to thoroughly investigate your case, determine liability, and pursue the compensation you deserve.
Founding attorney Joseph Low was named California’s Top 10 Motor Vehicle Accident Verdicts in 2019 and has won hundreds of millions of dollars for his clients. Joseph Low is a former U.S. Marine, and he is prepared to go to war with big, powerful corporations and interests on your behalf.
Contact The Law Firm of Joseph H. Low IV at (562) 901-0840 to schedule a free initial consultation. We’re ready to fight for you.