I Was Just in an Accident with an Uninsured Driver, What Now?

By Joseph Low on April 19, 2017 - Comments off

two passenger cars in an accident

A shockingly high number of California drivers are underinsured or uninsured, which can make the already difficult situation of being in an accident even worse. Fortunately, there are some options available to you, especially if you have uninsured motorist insurance as part of your policy. Once proper steps are taken to contact law enforcement or other emergency services if necessary, it is very important that you do not sign anything and that you contact an experienced lawyer to represent you immediately.

Uninsured Drivers on the Rise

With the high number of uninsured drivers in California, it is all too common to find yourself wondering where to go next after an accident with one of them. The first thing you should do after any accident is contact appropriate emergency services, including law enforcement and medical professionals if anyone is injured. Assuming the uninsured driver remains at the scene, get contact information from him or her and give your information as well. Provide an accurate statement to police once they arrive, but do not take responsibility for the accident—you do not have all the information in the moments immediately following a collision.

Simple Rule: Don’t Sign Anything Without a Lawyer

Other than a police report, do not sign anything following an accident with an uninsured driver, especially any paperwork provided to you by your insurance company. Contact an experienced automotive accident lawyer and have him or her with you to read any documents and advise you before signing anything. Your insurance company might seem like it is on your side, but ultimately companies want to pay as little as possible, and you can easily sign away your rights to additional money without realizing it.

As long as you have an insurance policy with uninsured motorist coverage, you should recover enough money to offset the lack of payment from the other driver. But whether you have uninsured motorist coverage or not, you should consult a lawyer to work with you as you deal with your insurance company. You might consider pursuing civil action against the uninsured motorist, but this is often a waste of time and money. Most motorists who cannot afford insurance also lack the means to pay any civil suit against them, and you can end up spending a great deal of time trying to collect little to no payment.

Your best option for receiving money for your collision is from your own insurance company. Having a lawyer represent you can ensure you receive as much compensation as possible. Call The Law Firm of Joseph H. Low IV today at (562) 901-0840 or toll free (888) 454-5569 to talk about your situation and understand your options.

Posted in: Personal Injury

100 Oceangate
12th Floor
Long Beach, CA 90802

Phone: (562) 901-0840
Toll-Free: (888) 454-5569

See all offices

Copyright © 2023 The Law Firm of Joseph H. Low, IV - Attorneys for The People - All rights reserved.

Disclaimer: The legal information presented on this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of a lawyer or attorney client relationship. Any results portrayed here were dependent on the facts of a particular legal matter and results vary from case to case. Please contact Joseph H. Low IV for a consultation on your particular case. This firm is licensed to practice law only in the State of California, but is affiliated with licensed attorneys in other states.

Website and Legal Internet Marketing by SLS Consulting | blog sitemap